Osun Governor Ademola Adeleke orders withdrawal of suit against EFCC after President Bola Tinubu intervenes in frozen accounts dispute.
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, says he has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the suit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s bank account.
Adeleke disclosed this in an interview with Channels Television, hours after he was declared winner of the August 15 governorship election.
The governor said he decided to withdraw the case following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention in the dispute.
“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my attorney general to drop it. Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.
The governor also addressed reports that some of his aides and government officials had been invited by the EFCC for questioning.
He said he had instructed his lawyers to provide assistance to the affected officials.
“Well, we have been talking. I have been calling all my lawyers to go there,” he said.
Adeleke alleged that the EFCC invitations were politically motivated but acknowledged that some officials who honoured the invitations were released after questioning.
He also said he did not believe President Tinubu was aware of some of the actions attributed to federal agencies.
“Most of these things, the president doesn’t know. The president has a lot of foreign work and jobs to do,” Adeleke said.
The governor further alleged that former Osun governor and Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Gboyega Oyetola, was behind the EFCC action because of his relationship with the president.
“All these things is Oyetola because he is the cousin to the president. He is dropping the president’s name,” Adeleke alleged.
Adeleke added: “I know that the president didn’t know about the EFCC one. That is why he had to call me and stop it.”
The Osun State Government had filed a suit against the EFCC over the freezing of its statutory allocation account.
The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1762/2026, was filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja on August 5. It sought to nullify the EFCC’s directive and demanded N2 billion in exemplary damages against the commission.
The EFCC had said it froze the account as part of an investigation into alleged fraudulent handling of funds by the state government.
President Tinubu subsequently directed the EFCC to immediately lift the freeze on the state’s accounts.
The president said he was embarrassed by the development, noting that actions taken by federal institutions were often attributed to the presidency even when he had no prior knowledge of them.
